After completion of the EU-funded project ‘FerryBox’ in 2005 the FerryBox community wanted to improve the combined knowledge. Therefore the FerryBox workshops were originated in order to share experience and knowledge about the use of different underway systems.
- Genoa / Italy
- Color Fantasy
- Helsinki 2013
- Geesthacht 2011
- Göteburg 2010
- Southampton 2008
- Oslo 2006
Color Fantasy 2017, 8th FerryBox Workshop
1. Status of FerryBoxes in different regions
2. FerryBox observations in combination with other ocean/earth observing systems and data management
3. New sensor and sampling technologies
4. Tour of Color Fantasy FerryBox systems, instrument demos, and poster viewing
5. Closing remarks, any other business, plan next workshop
NIVA - Norsk Institutt for vannforskning
0349 Oslo, Norway
Heraklion 2016, 7th FerryBox Workshop
1. Status of application of FerryBoxes in different regions
2. Integration of FerryBox systems in observation networks
3. FerryBox data management and quality control
4. New sensors and their application in FerryBox systems
5. Scientific applications of FerryBox measurements
6. FerryBox data and models
Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (HCMR)
Athens Sounio ave. P.O. Box 712, P.C. 19013
Anavyssos Attiki Greece
Tallinn 2014, 6th FerryBox Workshop
FerryBox systems are constantly developed and more instruments are integrated to the flow-through system which are installed to more ships with new transects hence covering more sea-areas with more precise data. Integrating even more with remote sensing and modeling products, these in-situ measurements will be a substantial part of an operational oceanographic network. To discuss gathered experience (knowledge), new ideas and directions considering flow-through systems, 6th FerryBox Workshop was held on 8-9 September 2014, Tallinn, Estonia in the premises of Marine Systems Institute at TUT.
- Regional systems – latest developments (new systems and lines, integration with other systems, development of indicators for WFD and MSFD).
- New sensors and applications (algal productivity, carbonate system, detection of species/groups, micro plastics and harmful substances).
- Operational oceanography applications (ground truth for remote sensing, assimilation into operational models).
- Latest scientific findings and results (with contribution from FerryBox systems).
Marine Systems Institute at TUT, Akadeemia tee 15A, Tallinn, Estonia
Helsinki 2013 (Syke) - Celebrating 20 Years of Alg@line
Participants of the 5th FerryBox Workshop in Helsinki 2013
The 5th workshop has taken place in Helsinki, Finland April 24-25, 2013 at Finnish Environment Institute.
1. FerryBox as a tool for monitoring; Regional cases.
2. Algae monitoring with FerryBoxes, including ecosystem modeling and EO observations.
3. Greenhouse gas measurements in FerryBoxes.
4. New commercial instruments and applications for FerryBox monitoring
Geesthacht 2011 (HZG) - FerryBoxes as Part of Operational Observation Networks: Monitoring versus Scientific Aspects
Participants of the 4th FerryBox-Workshop in Geesthacht
The Helmholtz Centre Geesthacht hosted the 4th FerryBox Workshop on 1-2 September, 2011.
1. Existing FerryBox Monitoring Programs
2. Greenhouse Gases
3. FerryBox Systems
4. Algal Dynamics
5. FerryBox, quo vadis
For more information use the link to the website of the 4th FerryBox Workshop
Göteburg 2010 (SMHI) - Moving Ferrybox into the age of Operational Oceanography
SMHI and the EuroGOOS Office invited the FerryBox community to a Ferrybox Workshop in Göteborg, Sweden on 16–17 March, 2010. This year the focus of the meeting was on the practical aspects of operational monitoring.
Below you can find the presentations of the workshop.
Southampton 2008 (NOC)
More than 60 marine experts from around the world attended the FerryBox meeting that was held at the National Oceanographic Centre, Southampton from 29th to 30th September 2008.